dear someone

The stuff that happened when I went and lived in Bangkok for four months.

Monday, January 23, 2006

Week 9: Happy Straya Day



Hello friends!! (both boys and girls and pictured and not pictured)
It's Australia Day tomorrow and as much as I like it here with all the crazy Thai people and chili basil stir fries and elephants on the street and diet pills and cheap food and stray cats and shit, here's a list of the things there aren't:

- you people
- Big Day Out
- a day off
- fireworks
- VB (not that I ever drank it, but it was there)
- things to stick up nose

I'll definitely be thinking of you all tomorrow, and being there in spirit with whatever you're doing. (Taking copious amounts of everything and being ridiculous in women's clothes, or dancing to "Isn't She Lovely" or hanging out in the VIP section or calling Johno or Doc at 5am etc etc) NB: I tried to find a picture of everyone from a past Australia Day but they're all in Sydney. NB2: and if you look reaaaallly carefully at the photo you'll see that Jo has been photoshopped in and isn't a small deformed dwarf with straight edges.

Anyway, the week that was: Firstly, went to the hospital. It's pretty good. It looks like a five-star hotel, with gold stuff everywhere and TVs and free drugs and Jake Gyllennhal and Heath Ledger giving back massages (except for the last two things). Still, there's not much that can make a visit to the hospital at 3am because of stabbing kidney pain less sucky. Not even the hijinks of attempting to pee into the smallest thing ever made without getting it anywhere else (the hand area, for instance), could make two hours in emergency more enjoyable. Actually, I lie. They had HBO playing Back To The Future on telly - in English!

Marty: "Whoa, this is heavy"
Doc: "Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there something wrong with the earth's gravitational pull?"


Anyway, I have a kidney infection which is mostly better now, even though there are another six days of antibiotics to go (the type they give to people dying of typhoid, as well). I've already fallen off the alcohol wagon twice this week, so it's probably a good thing I don't have the temptation of mashed friends, a public holiday and a major music festival to contend with.

And oh yeah, behold my new apartment:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

There's a pool and a sauna and a steam room (apparently there is a difference), a gym and other things I'll never use (not for the want of talking about it, though) and a fancy concierge bit and security passes and weird round keys. My apartment block is also called Asoke Place, which is the exact same name of a sex hotel down the road on soi Cowboy. I'm sure there'll be many hilarious misunderstandings as a result of this coincidence before I leave.

In other news, work is no longer distinguishable from life (insofaras I'm here in the office 90 per cent of the time I'm not asleep). But, whenever shit gets heavy, I amuse myself with the Asian Backstreet Boys "I Want It That Way" on google video for some peace and solace.

OK mi amigos, have a good day tomorrow and tell me all about your Invasion Day shenanigans and send me pictures, lots of them.

<3 <3 <3

7 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

Hoorah! I make the first comment... which is Hoorah! I make the first comment...

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hoorah! you're not kidding with the name, are you?

x

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Dr Nic said...

I was planing to drink heavily and sleep through it, but I'll try and do something more exciting. Just for you.

 
At 2:45 PM, Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

The name is short for quixotic. thought it was about time I told people because no bastard has asked.

I am going to my first (!) Big Day Out tomorrow after Shiney Le Fai from Loonaloop offered me a ticket. I don't like to drop names, but when it's a name like Shiney Le Fai...

 
At 4:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well! my australia day included:

getting lost in patpong, drinking rum in an irish pub, eating a beef & guinness pie, requesting 'Land Downunder' repeatedly from a Thai covers singer wearing an acubra, feeding an elephant, playing thumb wars with a little thai girl, drinking vodka in a titty bar called 'Rawhide', shooting Jaegermeister (x100000) and banging my head on the roof of a tuk tuk. VERY AUSTRALIAN.

/Too right, mate.

 
At 9:33 PM, Blogger Lee Bemrose said...

My version of Australia Day is at my blog thing. You wouldn't believe the calibre of slebs posting comments...

 
At 6:23 AM, Blogger Dr Nic said...

We had a BBQ, a bitch fight, buckets of beer, bocce and probably something else starting with b. Maybe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home